The Ogden Museum of Southern Art presents a unique and innovative opportunity to "See the South” where visitors will view the largest and most comprehensive collection of Southern art in the world. To book a group tour or for more information, contact Ellen Balkin, Education Coordinator at
504-539-9608 or via email at email@example.com.
Adult Group Tours
- Adult group tours are $10 per person with a minimum of 10 adults.
- Thanks to a generous gift from the Helis Foundation, admission for all Louisiana residents is FREE on Thursdays.
Student Group Tours
- Teachers may schedule a tour led by a trained museum docent. Docents are trained to help students "see the South," focusing on the central themes of Southern Art.
- Schooltours must have a minimum of 10 students.
- Thanks to a generous gift from the Helis Foundation, admission for all Louisiana residents is FREE on Thursdays and admission is always FREE to public schools located in Orleans and Jefferson Parishes.
- The cost of a docent led tour is $3.00 per student. One chaperone per 10 students is required regardless of grade. Faculty chaperones are not charged. The cost for non-faculty chaperones is $8.00 (adult group rate price).
- Teachers also have the option to book a post-tour art activity. The art activity fee is $3.00 per student.
Tours Museum Educators are also available
to help teachers create tours that align with their classes' curriculum. The
Museum's exhibitions provide the opportunity to explore several themes in
Southern art and culture. Teachers and Museum Educators will work together to
choose artworks around teacher selected topics.
of Thunder, Hear My Cry Tour This specialized tour based on the book by
Mildred D. Taylor illuminates the book through the art providing deeper
exploration of Southern art and literature. Here, visual art makes powerful
connections to literature and the larger social implications that allow
contemporary students to meaningfully explore the Great Depression. Download PDF: 735 Kb
Early Childhood Curriculum Program and Specialized
Tours for pre-k, kindergarten and first grade students Created in collaboration with the
Smithsonian Institute, The Ogden Museum's Early Childhood Enrichment Program
serves pre-K, kindergarten and first-grade children with the goal of making art
approachable-teaching art in a way in which students can easily relate and
understand--as well as introducing children a museum.
program also strives to increase literacy through the use of art. Prior to a
visit to the Ogden Museum, students read and discuss a suggested book in class.
During the students' visit to the Ogden Museum, they view artwork related to
the book and their conversations and participate in in-gallery activities
reinforcing newly learned concepts and vocabulary.
Suggested books and related themes for pre-K:
Matthew's Dream by Leo Leonni (introduction to a museum)
Suggested books and related themes for Kindergarten:
Frederick by Leo Lionni (seasons)
The Room of Wonders by Sergio Ruzzier (found objects)
Suggested books and related themes for 1st grade:
Tar Beach by Faith Ringgold (neighborhood)
Art from her Heart by Kathy Whitehead (memories/Clementine Hunter)
information on how your students can participate in this program, please
contact Ellen Balkin, Education Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or
Girl Scout Troop Outings
Wander through the world of Southern Art at the Ogden Museum. Girl Scouts of all ages are invited to take a special tour of the museum followed by an art making activity. Tours and activities can be tailored to meet particular proficiency award requirements.
$5 per Girl Scout (includes tour and activity)
2 adults per troop admitted free
$8 for each additional adult.
order to provide a safe place for students to enter and depart the Museum
during their field trip, The Ogden Museum of Southern Art requests that all busses
load and unload at the corner of Camp and St. Joseph Streets on the museum side
of the street. The students will then walk to the entrance of the Museum in the
center of the block.
staff of The Ogden Museum of Southern Art welcomes all visitors to "See
the South" through our collections. However, we expect visitors to respect
each other, the building and the art objects by following a few simple rules.
- Please place a nametag on each student.
- Please leave all backpacks, packages and lunches at the coat check desk.
- Do not touch the artwork.
- Do not point at objects or artwork with fingers or pencils; use an open hand when speaking about a specific artwork
- Do not lean on pedestals, cases or freestanding artwork.
- Do not leave journals or books on pedestals or cases.
- Visitors should stay with the group during tours.
- The use of flash photography and videotaping is prohibited.
restrooms are located on the second and fifth floors. All students must be
accompanied by an adult to the restroom.
are no picnic facilities or snack areas on the museum grounds. No food or drink
is allowed in the galleries.
more information about tours, please contact Ellen Balkin, Education
Coordinator at 504-539-9608 or via email email@example.com.